Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Adelynn Grace

I'm not sure where to begin with this post. As many of you know, my primary job is that of a NICU nurse. Up to this point my nursing job and my photography business have remained separate. But with this baby, those two worlds collided. 

It is with the permission of her parents, that I will briefly share Adelynn's story:

I had the honor of caring for Adelynn in the NICU. She was born premature at 29 weeks, weighing in at 2 pounds 1.2 ounces.
She was a fighter from the start! 
We don't often get to care for the same babies in the NICU but for some reason I managed to have her as my patient consistently. I had the privilege of caring for her every time I came to work (ok, there was one day I didn't get her, and it was quite upsetting :). 

 I quickly fell in love with this baby and her family. Her parents could not be sweeter. It was obvious to any onlookers that they loved their daughter beyond measure. I looked forward to their visits and admired their strength as new parents to a struggling infant. After 2+ months in the NICU, it was decided that Adelynn would be transferred to another hospital to undergo open-heart surgery. It was a tearful goodbye, but we were hopeful that she would get the treatment she needed to ultimately be able to go home. Her mother kept in contact and would text me photos, keeping me informed of the progress she was making. We talked about my doing photos for her when she eventually went home. 
But after a successful surgery, some genetic testing came back with devastating news. Adelynn was diagnosed with Trisomy 18, also known as Edwards syndrome. Heartbroken, her parents made the difficult decision to bring Adelynn home. They made plans to take her home Monday and arranged for me to take photos of her that Wednesday. But the Lord had other plans...

On Sunday evening, her parents informed me that Adelynn would not be making it home after all and requested I come to the hospital as soon as possible. I visited sweet Adelynn that night and took these photos. The last photo brings tears to my eyes, as just a few moments after it was taken, Adelynn went to be with Jesus. She was in the arms of her mother one moment and in those of her heavenly Father the next. Heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. My heart aches for this family and the difficult days ahead.
 Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Jeff & Lauren- Thank you for asking me to come to the hospital that night. I was honored to be there. Thank you for letting me share her story. She will not be forgotten. 











Psalm 139: 13-18

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in  your book
before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand-
when I awake, I am still with you."

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos representing a beautiful family and an incredibly beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words cannot express the sorrow in my heart for you all. I pray for the Lord's strength and courage to be with you. This beautiful little angel has touched so many lives. Her being was the ultimate gift. Her fight, the result of tremendous courage, strength and love received from two very special parents. Forever in my heart, much love, G-Aunt Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words cannot express the sadness in my heart. This was a very special little girl. Adelynn, you touched so many of our lives. You fought the fight and I believe was able to because of the courage, strength and love you received from your very special parents. You will be forever in my heart, much love, G-Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine McAllisterOctober 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM

    I had the honor of knowing this awesome little Angel for 90 days. She came here for a reason, and when her work was done, she went home to be with the Lord. Jeff and Lauren - thank you for letting all of us share Adelynn's life with you. The strength and love that came from you both allowed her to be strong as well. Adelynn had a plan for her last day with her two very special parents - she made the sun shine warmly and gave you so many loving memories that will live on in your hearts forever!! We will all cherish that day forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oldest daughter's name is also Adelynn Grace. She is 16 and an up and coming photographer. Her website is the same color and pattern as this one. I happened upon this story while looking for a link to her website. We are born again believers on the Lord Jesus Christ, and I know without a doubt that your beautiful Adelynn Grace is with Jesus. I am praying this night for you to feel his love all around you, and for him to strengthen you day after day.

    ReplyDelete